all different code segments, a little confused

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Hello all,

I have this skin object installed in a DNN 6 site running under IIS 7 in Windows 7 for now.  I was just reading all of the comments, and I'm confused as to which segment actually gets everything working considering everyone seemingly has to try a bunch of different things to get it to work.  What is the actual code that works and gets everything displaying correctly?  Basically my main goal is to get rid of the container logic with the hovering involved and be able to access everything as a standard list.  Sorry folks, but hovering's a pain in the butt when you're using a screen reader.  Thanks guys. 

Coordinator
Jun 4, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Chromebuster wrote:

Hello all,

I have this skin object installed in a DNN 6 site running under IIS 7 in Windows 7 for now.  I was just reading all of the comments, and I'm confused as to which segment actually gets everything working considering everyone seemingly has to try a bunch of different things to get it to work.  What is the actual code that works and gets everything displaying correctly?  Basically my main goal is to get rid of the container logic with the hovering involved and be able to access everything as a standard list.  Sorry folks, but hovering's a pain in the butt when you're using a screen reader.  Thanks guys.

If you want to render the menu as standard list you need to set the skin object to context mode false. And add an empty css file, or modify an existing one and remove its content. The css file contains the css Properties that converting the list into an hover menu

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Thanks. Then which CSS file is it, and what do I need to modify to make it work the way I’d like? I’m pretty good at installing web applications, but modifying their sources has never (yet) been my forte. I’m learning though, so this will be an adventure. If you could let me know, then that’d be awesome.

Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2012 7:08 PM
To: Katherine Moss
Subject: Re: all different code segments, a little confused [dnnmoduleactions:358139]

Chromebuster wrote:

Hello all,

I have this skin object installed in a DNN 6 site running under IIS 7 in Windows 7 for now. I was just reading all of the comments, and I'm confused as to which segment actually gets everything working considering everyone seemingly has to try a bunch of different things to get it to work. What is the actual code that works and gets everything displaying correctly? Basically my main goal is to get rid of the container logic with the hovering involved and be able to access everything as a standard list. Sorry folks, but hovering's a pain in the butt when you're using a screen reader. Thanks guys.

If you want to render the menu as standard list you need to set the skin object to context mode false. And add an empty css file, or modify an existing one and remove its content. The css file contains the css Properties that converting the list into an hover menu

Coordinator
Jun 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

You need to modify one of th skin files in the folder "DesktopModules\Watchersnet.Skinobjects.ModuleActionsMenu\skins\" By default the grey skin is used so you need to modify the "Grey.css" file simply remove the entire content, depending on how you want it to look like. In your container file disable the context mode <param name="ContextMode" value="False" />

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Okay thanks! Now please remind me, but what extension do container files display? They’re either .ascx or .aspx, right?

Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 5:54 AM
Subject: Re: all different code segments, a little confused [dnnmoduleactions:358139]

You need to modify one of th skin files in the folder "DesktopModules\Watchersnet.Skinobjects.ModuleActionsMenu\skins\" By default the grey skin is used so you need to modify the "Grey.css" file simply remove the entire content, depending on how you want it to look like. In your container file disable the context mode <param name="ContextMode" value="False" />

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2012 at 12:07 AM

the container files are ether html files or when they are already parsed ascx files.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Oh okay. Thanks; I’ll take a look.

Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 7:08 PM

the container files are ether html files or when they are already parsed ascx files.

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:53 AM

It's been a while, but I'll be honest and say that skinning and styling has never been my forte, so I apologize if I sound like a moron.  I have one more question though, and that is, where then is the container file located within the DNN installation for this particular skin?  I've been looking in the CSS files for the context menu true value, but it's obvious now that you're talking about another file.  Thank you so much for all of your assistance and patience so far. 

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Did you use the default skin in dnn 6? If yes the container folder for the skin is located in YOURDNNROOT\Portals\_default\Containers\DarkKnight\.

If you want to use my Menu you need to place the SkinObject in to each Container file (All the ASCX Files in that folder) like i described on the Documentation

http://dnnmoduleactions.codeplex.com/documentation

You need to manually modify each ascx file and add the

<%@ Register TagPrefix="dnn" TagName="MODULEACTIONSMENU" Src="~/DesktopModules/WatchersNET.SkinObjects.ModuleActionsMenu/ModuleActionsMenu.ascx" %>

and

<dnn:MODULEACTIONSMENU runat="server" id="dnnMODULEACTIONSMENU" ContextMode="False" />

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Now I get it!  That was what was unclear I think, the concept of skin objects versus CSS files.  Thank you!  I'll let you know how it goes after I reinstall DNN due to another issue that had cropped up; I liked to call it the mistery of the disappearing pages.  Different thing though.